Study Confirms Marijuana Helps Alzheimer’s Patients
A new medical marijuana study conducted in Israel has concluded that adding marijuana to the treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease “is safe and a promising treatment option”. Researchers at the Abarbanel Mental Health Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel-Aviv University, in Israel, along with the Department of Psychology, at Bar-Ilan University conducted one of the first clinical studies of cannabis on human Alzheimer’s patients.
One of the main active ingredients in cannabis, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), “is a potential treatment for Alzheimer’s disease (AD)” researchers wrote. They wanted to measure the safety and efficacy of giving a medical cannabis oil containing THC as an add-on to existing Alzheimer’s drugs. Their goal was relieving the terrifying behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.
Eleven patients were recruited into the month-long trial. Ten patients finished the trial, and researchers reported “significant reduction” in mental illness severity, especially with regard to delusions, agitation, aggression, irritability, apathy, sleep, and caregiver distress.
“Adding [medical cannabis oil] to [Alzheimer’s Disease] patients’ pharmacotherapy is safe and a promising treatment option,” researchers concluded.
Previous cannabis research studies have indicated that the active ingredients in cannabis can provide relief to Alzheimer’s patients by calming them down and allowing them to sleep. Additional studies into the nature of interaction between cannabinoids and cells also indicate that cannabis can potentially prevent the onset and progression of Alzheimer’s.
Alzheimer’s Disease Marijuana Studies
- Safety and Efficacy of Medical Cannabis Oil for Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia: An-Open Label, Add-On, Pilot Study. – Link
- Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Agitation & Aggression in Alzheimer’s Disease – Link
- The therapeutic potential of the endocannabinoid system for Alzheimer’s disease- Link
- The Potential Therapeutic Effects of THC on Alzheimer’s Disease – Link
- Cannabinoids for the treatment of dementia – Link